Mouth guards protect the teeth, gums, and supporting tissues from damage, injury, and trauma. However, they are not all created equal. The two main types of sports mouth guards are over the counter (OTC) and custom. While OTC guards are helpful on occasion, many individuals need a customized dental mouth guard fitted by a professional to prevent injury effectively.
Benefits of Custom Sports Mouth Guards
Here’s how a custom sports mouth guard can help prevent oral injuries:
- Creates a layer of protection between the teeth and surrounding soft tissue. This can prevent damage to the lips and cheeks.
- Cushions blows to the chin and jaw by redistributing the shock of the impact. This can prevent jaw dislocation and tooth fractures.
- Protects the lower and upper teeth in case of a fall.
- Supports the mandible and protects it from damage due to unsupported lower jaw movement.
- Prevents some neurological injury by absorbing the shock of a blow. Without a mouth guard, trauma from the jaw can redistribute to the base of the skull, potentially causing a concussion.
- Provides some protection from neck injuries.
Wearing a mouth guard can give you the confidence to play hard and concentrate on the win. Knowing you are protected in the event of impact allows you to give the game your all! Our dentists fit you for a custom sports mouth guard on-site.